Monday, August 23, 2010

Escape to Holland

Early this month, I had the chance to go to The Netherlands with Richard. He had business there. I just had a vacation. I spent a week tooling around, visiting sites in Amsterdam, Rotterdam and Gouda and enjoying the super organised public transportation system. The Ann Frank House in Amsterdam was very moving. I also enjoyed the Van Gogh museum and the canal tours. Richard and I checked out the Red Light District on our last night. I'm not sure what I expected, but it was really intriguing in a car wreck kind of way. I did not take photos. We had hoped to bicycle around Amsterdam, but the day we chose turned out to be the day before the big Gay Pride Canal Parade and the city was bursting at the seams. We didn't dare try to maneuver bikes around so we just walked and gawked. Kim (one of our hosts) took me on the "best of" tour of Rotterdam one day. The tour included some of the quirkiest sites in the city as well as some of the culinary treats of the country. Can't wait until I get a chance to show Kim around my home. I'll have to come up with some pretty weird stuff to impress her, however.
Amsterdam really IS full of bicycles.

Me sitting on Santa's lap in Rotterdam. What Santa is holding in his hand is wide open to interpretation.
Who knew that Kip meant "chicken"? I guess the Dutch did.
Kassmarkt (cheese market) in Gouda (pronounced as though you are coughing up phlegm then "owda")
Courtyard in Gouda
Random tourists at Kinderdijk
Willem and Kim (our Dutch hosts)
Richard with Willem and Alan (his business partners).
View from our hotel in Amsterdam
Richard on a canal boat in Amsterdam
Gay Pride Parade in Amsterdam

1 comment:

Tony Leach said...

NOT SURE IF YOU WILL GET THIS - TRYING TO CONTACT YOU, THINK YOU HAVE MOVED FROM 33 VIV DAVIE-MARTIN?



TONY LEACH!